Popsicle Toes

Yup, I have 'em. But everything else is as warm as hot apple pie (it might have something to do w/the peri-menopausal thing going on w/me.)

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Where would you go . . . .

I watched the strangest movie last night - Donnie Darko w/Jake Gyllenhaal. I'm still debating w/myself on if I like it or not, but I will tell you, it makes you think about it, A LOT! There is something that happens in the movie that changes the course of his life. It made me think about what I would change if I could go back in time and do it differently - and know I was doing it differently. If I had one chance to change one thing, what would I choose? This thought kept me awake all night, and I couldn't choose one thing, there were so many, how could I choose just one event....

1) My grandma died on my 5th b-day in 1965, and I was already very close to her since we lived w/my grandparents while my dad was in Vietnam. If it were possible, I'd go back and tell her that her heart was going to give out soon and that she needed to take care of it before my b-day. I don't even know if they could do anything back then, but she had no warning.

2) My friend Val died my senior year in high school. He went rock climbing and fell to his death. I would go back and stop him so that his family and his friends wouldn't have grieved such a loss. He was a beautiful man, with a beautiful spirit and he knew how to have fun.

3) I would love to go back to the day my high school boyfriend got in a car accident that changed his life. It wasn't fatal, but they had to put his head in traction for a month. After that accident, he became addicted to pain killers and alcohol. He never was the same after that. I saw him about 8 years ago and he was going into another facility to dry him out. To this day, his mom doesn't have contact w/him. Like any girl in high school, I thought he was the one I'd marry, but he abused himself to the point I couldn't stay w/him any longer.

4) I was dating my ex and flirting w/someone who was a customer at the bank I worked for at the time. I know he was interested in me and we had lunch a few times. I wonder what would have happened if I would have opened door number two, instead of getting pregnant....(and believe me, I would in no way change having my sons, but, I still wonder)....

5) Which leads me to wonder, what my life would have been like if I'd known Christ personally at this juncture in my life, instead of later when things were hard in my marriage.

6) I also wonder, knowing what I know now, would I change the course of my marriage (my mistakes, my blunders). Would I change how I was towards my ex, or would I let it run its course? I'm not sure about this because I feel so much happier w/out him, but would have staying w/him change my sons in any way? I feel they're great kids (young men), but would their lives be different if we would have stayed together?

There are many things I would have done differently knowing what I know, but then again, my life is awesome, thanks to God's grace. But still, you wonder....

Would you change anything??

11 Comments:

At 12:41 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger afromabq said...

Normie-thanks. i know, it's kinda a fine line isn't it...

 
At 12:43 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger SJ said...

Everything. It's that simple. There is nothing I have done in my life that I wouldn't change if I had the chance.

 
At 9:39 PM, March 14, 2006, Blogger afromabq said...

Ian-really??? there has to be something that's right in your life!

 
At 2:32 AM, March 15, 2006, Blogger Britney said...

Donnie Darko... excellent film. I'm very happy to see that your son finally made you watch it (or finally got you a copy; same concept really.)

As for the change question, I'll have to think on it... but ask me in person. I don't know if I'm entirely comfortable talking about them through typing and computers.
Annnnnyway, excellent post. You're so good Tia.

 
At 4:34 AM, March 15, 2006, Blogger SJ said...

Oh, I'm not saying that nothing's right - I'm just saying that nothing is what I intended. And there are certainly a few things I wish were different than they are.

 
At 7:22 AM, March 15, 2006, Blogger afromabq said...

brat-since when can't YOU write about it???? weird. and thanks :).

ian-ok, as long as it's not all bad, which is how i read it earlier.

 
At 1:44 PM, March 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could've avoided all kinds of weirdness if I had just run away from home at the age of 13 instead of moving with my parents to a house across the street from some real whack-jobs and their looney relatives from another country. I must have been really bad in a previous life...oh wait...I don't believe in reincarnation!

 
At 2:09 PM, March 15, 2006, Blogger afromabq said...

anon-is this you hrh?? don't even think about calling us whack jobs! my fam knows where you live!

 
At 8:49 AM, March 16, 2006, Blogger kcterrilynn said...

I don't know...great quesiton and one I've pondered a lot. Quite honestly, I don't know if I'd change anything. I mean, my first thought was yes, I would not have my dad die when I was ten. But if that happened, then I wouldn't have had my second dad in my life who I love just as much. I mean, if you change one thing, you change everything. And I like who I am, what I am. It may not be what I pictured, but it's obviously what's meant to be, so who am I to change it. Besides, who's to say if the change I could make would be for the better in the long run?

 
At 8:42 PM, March 16, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

I had a post somewhere about this topic. I debated on this and came up with no I wouldnt change anything because I would be different, and I like how I am now.

 
At 7:57 AM, March 17, 2006, Blogger afromabq said...

KC-very true-who's to say...that's why we haven't been given that power 'cause we'd screw it up in the long run.

Sugar-i think for me, it's not liking who i am ('cause i do-especially now), it'd be more about wanting to be with those i've lost. i think. anyway, wierd movie...like i said, it made me think about it a lot and actually i'm ready to watch it again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home